When Teddy and I decided it was time to have a baby, we never expected it to happen so quickly...the first time! I always thought it would be fun to not know if it was a boy or a girl. Teddy took a little convincing, but he warmed to the idea when it bugged people so much that we didn't know. It was even funnier when they thought we knew and weren't telling them! Like most women, I complained about all the aches and pains, not being able to sleep, heartburn, the baby kicking me ALL THE TIME, etc... but I loved the whole pregnancy. It is truly a neat thing to be able to carry and grow a child.
So exactly one year ago today, I checked myself into the hospital to have Patrick. My doctor told me that she would induce one week early if I wanted and I JUMPED at the chance. Not only to get my epidural AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, but to actually know when the baby was coming. It was an exciting and scary moment. This boy or girl that had been growing and moving inside me was about to be born and turn our lives upside down! So at 9:00pm, Jennifer drove me to the hospital (I told Teddy to go to work for the night because no sense in him hanging around while they question me endlessly and take my vitals 100 times) and stayed with me until Teddy got there. I was so eager (along with everyone else, I imagine) to know if we had a Patrick or a Tess. So they gave me a little pill (Cytotec) that is suppose to induce labor. Well, it started working and they didn't expect it to work that well. So they decided not to give me another one and to wait until morning. Teddy got to the hospital about 1:00am and he was a ball of nerves! He brought the nurses on duty coffee and treats (every time he left the hospital he brought something back for them...he said they would take better care of me!). So at 6:00am on the 20th, they hooked me up to the pitocin and labor began...again. My water broke on it's own, and I got my epidural early because the anesthesiologist was in the room next door. Needless to say, I didn't feel a thing and it was WONDERFUL.
To be continued...
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My it is hard to believe how fast this past year went. Patrick is great baby (little boy now). HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATRICK!!!
Love you,
Grandma Kathy
Happy Birthday Paddy! We missed ya!
Love, Opa and Granna
Owen sez: Happy Birthday Paddy!!!!!!!
Post a Comment